Although buildings receive all sorts of awards, we realized there’s a gap in the system. While beautiful, exciting buildings are created and operated every day by amazing individuals, there are few – if any – awards recognizing the people behind innovations and achievements in the green building space. We want to fill that hole to make sure our amazing leaders receive the credit they deserve for transforming the built environment.
The Building Optimizers Leaders and Disruptors Awards (The BOLD Awards) spotlights individuals and teams who drive the green building industry. These leaders are making our surroundings more intelligent, more comfortable, and more efficient. Formed in 2015 by Aquicore, Building Robotics, Enlighted and View, The BOLD Awards spotlight 4 categories of amazing leadership within sustainable buildings.
In our inaugural year with nearly 100 entries of incredible leaders, the judging panel had quite a task selecting the finalists. The judges, comprised of cutting-edge changemakers including representatives from the United States Green Building Council, GreenBiz, McDonough + Partners and more, evaluated each nomination based on the following criteria:
- Environmental impact: What environmental impact has the nominee created or expected?
- Human impact: How did the nominee change comfort, productivity, or the general well-being of the community?
- Innovation: Did the nominees implement an innovative project?
After careful consideration of each nomination, the panel was able to narrow the amazingly talented list to these 20 influential leaders.
- Ralph DiNola, CEO, New Buildings Institute
- Eugenia Gregorio, Director of Corporate Responsibility, The Tower Companies
- Fulya Kocak, Director of Sustainability, Clark Construction
- Sara Neff, Vice President of Sustainability, Kilroy Realty Corporation
- Anthony Ravitz, Real Estate and Workplace Services Green Team Lead, Google
- Mike Dieterich, Sustainability Manager, Renew and Sustain
- Lee Dunfee, Senior Vice President of East Engineering Operations, Cushman & Wakefield
- Sukanya Paciorek, Executive Vice President, Head of Asset Management, Brooklyn Navy Yard
- Russell Perry, Director of Sustainable Design, SmithGroupJJR
- David Summers, Principal, LA Mechanical Department Head, Glumac
- Donnel Baird, CEO, BlocPower
- Davida Herzl, CEO and Co-Founder, Aclima
- Peter Rumsey, Founder and CEO, Point Energy Innovations
- Stacy H. Smedley, CEO and Co-Founder, SEED Collaborative
- Dr. Avideh Zakhor, CEO, Indoor Reality
The Unsung Hero:
- Eden Brukman, Founder and Principal, Concenter Solutions
- Sara Cederberg, Technical Director of LEED, United States Green Building Council
- Chateau Hough Urban Agriculture Zone in Cleveland, Ohio
- Wes Sullens, Green Building Program Manager, StopWaste of Alameda County
- William (Bill) Updike, Chief of Green Building & Climate Branch, Department of Energy & Environment, The Government of The District of Columbia
Congratulations to all the finalists!
To see which of these outstanding leaders receive The BOLD Awards, join the host companies on Wednesday, November 18 from 5:30-7:30 p.m at Lucky Strike – Gallery Place (701 7th Street, NW Washington, DC 20001). Awards will be announced at 6:00pm.
Throughout the event, you’ll enjoy complimentary beers and bites, challenge your colleagues to bowling matches or billiards, and celebrate Building Optimizers, Leaders and Disruptors leading our industries to a brighter future. Tickets are running out, so save your spot today.
For more information, visit www.theboldawards.com